Monday, October 11, 2010

Adventures at Fashion Week Part 2: Versace

So the time had finally come, I had finally gotten done getting lost and it was time step up to the big leagues. I didn't have much hope of actually getting in because I had been told specifically that I "could not" yet into the bigger name shows like Versace and Armani unless I had an invite. I was also told that at some shows if you look the part by some odd chance they might let you in, as soon as I saw the people coming and going to the show and other fashion groupies it was utterly apparent that the "look the part" option was not gonna work (not that I looked bad, I just couldn't compete with people that probably spent 500 euro on their shoes).


The idea of sneaking in seemed more impossible as I observed the sharply dressed security men standing in the door way that didn't seem like they had a good sense of humor.


At first, I had confined myself to watching from across the street along with all of the others that weren't blessed with a little red shiny enveloped that had Versace written on it


But that got boring so I decided to stand out front near the of the crowd control devices, much closer to the action.


It was almost hard to watch as people filed in with their golden tickets and you could hear the music for the first show.



This may have been the only other person that was enjoying the moment as much as I was.



Having bought a cheap umbrella my camera and I were relatively save from the rain. As the rain fell I was having the time of my life photographing people in expensive clothes trying their best to protect themselves from the seemingly endless buckets of rain. Even at this point I felt my trip was worth while just for the experience and the pictures I had taken.

I'm quite sure I shot enough for an entire photography show (which I am seriously considering putting together in future)


I love this guy because he looks so insane (which makes since because he is a photographer like me) and very confused.



After the first show had let it's audience out, there was quite a bit of confusion with people opening and closing umbrellas and dodging the rain etc. once a good deal of the crowd had died down I felt I had my chance. I took one quick step and threw myself into the minor kaos that was going on at the facade, because of the rain the security had moved from the doors further in. I made sure to stay in outside of the cluster (near the wall) the whole time. At this point the man checking invites was in the middle of a sea of guests. I stayed  close to a woman that looked like she had more than one invite and when the guard glanced at me I reached my arm in a way that might have given the illusion of holding my invite next to hers, and it worked, I was in...



Well in so to speak, once I started looking around I realized that it was only the first round of invite checkers, there were two more men in front of the stairs. At this point for a little while I thought "oh well, I guess thats it, it was still a good try" but then I noticed there was a seperate line sectioned off for press, they were all waiting at the stairs to advance. I glanced around to make sure no one was watching me and then proceeded to duck under the rope. No one saw me, and if they did I guess it didn't seem odd. I stood in line only a few minutes until everyone at once started to move, it seemed that as people were passing security they held their camera up, so I did the same. And then I was in...


Well, I was in yet another level, this one had music and  a somewhat odd blue lights in a circular room. And what do  I see at the doorway to the room where the show takes place? yep, my sharply dressed security guard friends again. I would like to make note of the fact that throughout this experience I felt like I was on the verge of a bank heist and the cops could come at any minute (in fact, I even get rather nervous when telling people these stories). Most of the photographers had gone straight in the room, but I decided to stick by one and follow him in (he is slightly pictured above). When we passed the security I'm guessing I looked like his assistant (which was what I was going for). We walked past the guard and  a curtain and then
 I WAS IN.  




 As I entered and saw the runway, I was in a state of disbelief, I was truly ready to do a victory dance but then remembered that I should probably do my best to look like the other photographers who don't get excited about this because they have done it hundreds of times and its just work. Although I did my best to suppress my happiness, every once and a while I'd crack an ear to ear grin.


Just in case I had gotten lonely my security friends were inside, people watching as well. I tried never to make eye contact and look busy as I waited, I also made a little bit of conversation with other photographers about gear. The whole time I was truly ready for something to reveal my form of entry, scenarios played out in my mind about how it would go down when they found me out. But that moment never came and instead all of "us" press waited at the end of the runway for quite some time. I found it amusing when the photographers began to get impatient and started shouting "pronto" (I'm ready) and "Andiamo" (let's go) 

                          

When the lights went down for the last time and the show started it was like an explosion, I can't think to put it any other way.


I had been wondering if I would be in trouble because I didn't have a flash but the lights of the runway proved to be beyond amazing. 


As soon as the first girl started walking down the runway I was overwhelmed with the beautiful sound of camera shutters firing thousands of photos. Which was accompanied by the amazing sound system, I've been to many concerts and events with pro audio and this was by far the best I'd ever heard (and felt).  




For some reason in photographs I love it when the frame is taken right before someone puts their weight on the ground. 


I decided to shoot some shots in a way that is not typical of runway photography because I felt I had extra freedom since I didn't actually have an editor or boss to worry about. 













Just had to take a picture of my shoes on the runway.


After the show was over and the people had left, there was a strong "well kids that was Christmas" vibe but I was still too exited to notice.


Joanna Coles the editor in chief of Marie Claire was hanging around so I thought I'd take her photo (although I ended up seeing her at all the shows I went to)


4 comments:

  1. You have captured the whole vibe beautifully with your photography (despite all the rain!) Psst.....I'm a friend of Nicki's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. N8!!!
    Wow! I am so excited that you went for it. I'm not sure I would have been THAT brave but you were....so living vicariously am I!! I can only imagine how it must have felt but you descibed it perfectly. You seem to be having an amazing time. Won't it be so cool when you can show your family around? I loved Florence and Fiesole was wonderful too there. Awesome views. You are so fortunate to be there!!
    BTW...don't be too hard on your mom -- style-wise :) She's very nervous and trying very hard to meet with your approval while she's there! :)
    Sincerely, Your Dear Mom's Tee Pee friend, MA

    ReplyDelete
  3. ......and I meant to tell you how fantastic(!) your photography is!!!! You fit right in with the pros...really.
    Any editor would be lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing post and your photos are outstanding. Nate, you are THE MAN!!!! I am beyond impressed.

    Wow, wow, wow!!!

    ReplyDelete